Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Newbie: OpenBSD security

From: Will Munkara-Kerr <WillM () cs nsw gov au>
Date: Thu, 24 Oct 2002 13:01:14 +1000

1st googled "Hardening OpenBSD":

http://geodsoft.com/howto/harden/

Also you might like to check out:
http://bsdvault.net/sections.php?op=viewarticle&artid=92

Basically, do the standard- shut off unneeded daemons, check
http://www.openbsd.org/errata.html daily (hourly even), tighten up your
openssh options, configure pf, install snort and aide and portsentry, nessus
yourself every so often, back up, and actually read the inbuilt
pre-configured openbsd reports.. daily insecurity report etc.

oh, and leave your computer switched off, buried in a secret basement that
no one, not even yourself knows the location of, removed of any networking
devices, monitor, keyboard, and relocated to random global basements at
indeterminate times, by a socially outcast deaf, dumb, blind mute, who has
no understanding of computers.

good luck, and have fun...
this is cool too, but I implement it far less than I should:

http://www.backwatcher.org/writing/howtos/obsd-encrypted-filesystem.html

Can't help you to much with the sms stuff, but its possible... we run it at
work (not from openbsd though) Afaik, it works by certain mail getting
forwarded to a mail server which has sms capabilities, so.... you could cron
a email report from openbsd to such a server (which forwards to your mobile)
letting you know that everything is ok, but directly from your openbsd
machine to your mobile.... not too sure)

.will