Wireshark mailing list archives

Getting captured interface name inside plugin

From: Jan Mall <jan.mall () uni-ulm de>
Date: Mon, 7 Jun 2021 02:13:23 +0200

Hello together,

I'm currently developing a plugin/dissector (C API), which should have a different dissection behavior depending on the interface Wireshark is currently listening on. So I need to somehow get to know which interface Wireshark is currently capturing on. I've checked the documentation and the sources, but unfortunately I was not able to find any really usable functions to get this information. In best case, I would receive/subscribe to a notification of the UI which gets fired as soon as the user started capturing on an interface.

Maybe someone can give me a hint or a direction where to look at. Would help me a lot.

Thanks & Greets
Jan Mall