Wireshark mailing list archives

Re: Getting captured interface name inside plugin

From: Jan Mall <jan.mall () uni-ulm de>
Date: Mon, 7 Jun 2021 13:15:25 +0200

On 07.06.21 02:41, Richard Sharpe wrote:
On Sun, Jun 6, 2021 at 5:42 PM Jan Mall <jan.mall () uni-ulm de> wrote:
The ultimate goal is an automotive dissector, which takes abstract
network descriptions for automotive buses and dissects the messages on
the bus accordingly. But as every bus has a different set of message
definitions, I somehow need to find out on which bus (physical
interface) I receive the traffic in order to perform dissection
according to the message definitions for this bus. Of course the user
could just change the network description in the plugins preferences
every time he switches the interfaces, but I thought maybe there's a
smoother solution.
Are the messages partitioned such that they are different on each
interface, or is it the case that Message 1 can appear on interface
types A and B but with different formats?

The messages (e.g. CAN messages) are different for each interface, but are not unique across interfaces. So e.g. one message with ID xyz can occur on both interfaces, but has a different meaning/datatype on each interface.