Wireshark mailing list archives

Re: Unit testing dissector code

From: João Valverde via Wireshark-dev <wireshark-dev () wireshark org>
Date: Sat, 5 Jun 2021 01:33:07 +0100

Hi Martin,

This is promising. I think dissecting a TVB and walking the proto_tree to assert the result is probably the way to go about implementing a dissector test suite (instead of reading a pcap with tshark and grepping the output).

But regarding your PoC having to give extern linkage to the internal dissector code is a big drawback IMO, even if it isn't visible in a DLL (because we use default hidden visibility when the compiler supports it).

Maybe that could be solved by including the dissector source file in the test source file?

/* test_packet-bt-dht.c */

#include <epan/dissectors/packet-bt-dht.c>

void  test_foo(void)
{...}

int main(void)
{...}

/* end test_packet-bt-dht.c */

Just something to consider. Build time will be slowish with a large test suite, but running the test suite should be several orders of magnitude faster. And there are no binaries committed to the repo tree for dissectors (assuming the TVB data is included as a C array).

BR,

João