Vulnerability Development mailing list archives

Re: Hijack IP Address using cable modem

From: Bill Munger <bmunger () LIGHTSHIPMAIL NET>
Date: Thu, 29 Mar 2001 08:20:49 -0500

Interesting thing about the AT&T / roadrunner cable network is that the
DNS name for your IP contains your MAC address. If they do in fact use
it as some kind of authorization (which seems likely enough, as I have
had to call them with my MAC address after getting a new NIC), then they
sure don't trouble themselves about keeping it a secret. And it is
possible to change your MAC in software for some NICs.

I moved from the Time-Warner Road-Runner network to the At&t network.  The
At&t network requires that you call them with your mac address upon
setup.  Your connection will only work with that mac address.  So if you
change cards you need to call them back and have them change the mac
address for you.  I suspect they are programming a smart switch.