Vulnerability Development mailing list archives

Re: Hijack IP Address using cable modem

From: Nick Summy <playboy () NETINS NET>
Date: Wed, 28 Mar 2001 08:09:01 -0600

Now I hardly know anything about this subject, so correct me If im wrong,
but I have a few questions.

From what it looks like, your computer is able to see all requests for IP
addresses on some cable networks.  Now lets say you got an IP address that
was orignaly supposed to be going to someone else.  A. Wouldnt the cable
network realize that the IP Address didnt go to the correct person
(verification by MAC Address?) and B. Where does this leave person who the
IP address was originally supposed to go to?  Do they just request another
one and get it?  And if so would the cable network allow a person to grab 2
IP addresses?

I may be totally off based by this,  and if so let me know,  but these seem
like common sense questions.

Nick Summy