Vulnerability Development mailing list archives

Re: Hijack IP Address using cable modem

From: moksha faced <mokshafaced () YAHOO COM>
Date: Wed, 28 Mar 2001 21:37:31 -0800

I think I see where Patrick was coming from with
this:

Victim turns on his computer, and gets an IP address
Cracker, while sniffing the Cable segment notices
that IP adress foo is
assigned to MAC bar
Cracker changes his own MAC address to bar, and
brings up IP address foo on
this new MAC address (some Ethernet cards have
overwritable MAC addresses)
Since both Cracker and Victim have the same MAC,
Cracker get's all packets
for Victims computer, and is able to impersonate
victim.

I don't know of a way to *change* the mac on the cable
modem or cable switch/router

This is just a slightly more sophisticated IP
Address Spoofing attack.... and
I don't think it will work...

From what I know of Cablemodem networks, there are
actually several parts.

1: The cable network - the 'Modem' talks to the
Cable Company terminal
equipment and ensures that you are a valid
subscriber.

Oh, boy, you can bet that is NOT the case.  The cable
guys showed up at my house but I had to hook it all up
and get it working.  They couldn't get the modem to
come up.

2: The IP Network - the routers keep track of which
IP and MAC, is on which
Cable Modem - thus making this attack unlikely to
succeed....

I think they *log* mac to dhcp leases, but there is no
control and no authentication procedure.  Perfect for
MITM.

I haven't tested this, and might be horribly wrong,
but I don't think so -
this is one of those things that looks better in
theory than in practice - Is
anyone from @HOME or ATT around to confirm/deny
what's I've written?

IF (big if) you could spoof the mac you're in... the
trick is spoofing the mac on hardware (different than
spoofing where you have an os to monkey with).  Hunt
etal work like a charm.  I see guys doing it all the
time, they knock over the whole network.  The cable
guys aren't watching.  Their so busy they never even
answer the phone so you can know they aren't watching.