Vulnerability Development mailing list archives

Re: Hijack IP Address using cable modem

From: Clayton Hoskinson <choskinson () MMCABLE COM>
Date: Thu, 29 Mar 2001 08:10:39 -0600

Nick is right, at least with my cable modem ISP.  When they installed the
original cable modem, they installed theirs.  I purchased another modem and
decided to save myself the monthly rental.  I could hookup and talk to the
Net, but when I took theirs back to them and told them I had my own, they
wanted me to bring mine in, also.  The "tech" said they had to get a number
off of my new modem or it would not work in their system.  The "tech" said
once they deactivated their number, if they did not have my number to
activate, my modem would not work.

This is a good theory, but there are a couple of flaws (i think)  I
beleive
that each cable modem has a MAC address,  so the network would look for
the
cable modems mac address, not the NIC's.