Vulnerability Development mailing list archives

Re: character injecting on linux console

From: Valdis.Kletnieks () vt edu
Date: Sun, 09 Dec 2001 21:02:06 -0500

On Tue, 09 Oct 2001 11:50:24 -0300, Nelson Brito said:
: I think this issue popped up several times on BUGTRAQ few years ago...
: This is a pretty interesting issue, because e.g. pine used to escape such
: characters improperly (not sure if this is still any problem, I reported
: it a while ago).

I didn't remember this issue on BUGTRAQ, but I can't point it out that this
is OLD-NEWS in the wild.

I can't *prove* it, but I know the first time I heard of "something fails
to filter ANSI/vt100 control chars" was at my previous employer, which
means it dates back to at least May 89.  I seem to remember something
way back in the '84/'85 time frame - it could have been the BSD 4.3
release notes saying "We fixed a lot of these from 4.2".  I do remember
various BSD4.2-derived systems having lots of filtering issues....

So we've reached the point in computing history where we have younger
readers of this list hearing about bugs that were *first* found before
the readers were even born.

How depressing.

--
                                Valdis Kletnieks