Vulnerability Development mailing list archives

Re: character injecting on linux console

From: "Michael R. Rudel" <mrr () thud pcs k12 mi us>
Date: Sat, 8 Dec 2001 12:57:59 -0500 (EST)

[mrr@thud]
[~]-> uname -a
FreeBSD thud.pcs.k12.mi.us 4.3-STABLE FreeBSD 4.3-STABLE #0: Fri Jul 27
15:31:11 EDT 2001     mrr () thud pcs k12 mi us:/usr/src/sys/compile/thud
i386
[mrr@thud]
[~]-> perl -e 'print "\x9E\x9bc"'
[mrr@thud]
[~]-> 62;1;2;6;7;8;9c

The shell on the FreeBSD machine is 2.04.0(1). The results are the same no
matter what I change my terminal type to.

Results are the exact same with vt220 on a Linux 2.4.14 using bash 1.4.7.
Ditto for the results being the same when the terminal type is changed.

Results are also the same even if I change shells. However, 'sh' on the
FreeBSD machines appends '^[[?' to the string. tcsh, csh, zsh all return
the same, though.

Michael R. Rudel * mrr () gotclue org * 734.417.4859 * www.gotclue.org
Technician, Pinckney Community Schools * mrr () pcs k12 mi us
Principal Engineer, Michael R. Rudel Consulting * mrr () mrrconsulting net