Vulnerability Development mailing list archives

Re: distributed.net and seti@home

From: lamont () ICOPYRIGHT COM (Granquist, Lamont)
Date: Thu, 3 Feb 2000 08:32:26 -0800

I did some porting work on seti@home back when I admin'd more than just
Linux boxes, so I had the source, and really you were just doing FFTs
precisely like the web page describes.  Of course I can't confirm that the
data was *really* aracebo data and that it wasn't some NSA-inspired
FFT-based factoring scheme to crack the Russian's RSA missile codes.  And
of course I always secretly suspected that the linux porter had encoded a
package into the binary distrubution which patched your kernel to rootkit
your box and disable correct strace()ing of the seti@home binary, but I
never had time to disassemble it on an uncompromised box and prove it.

But, of course, we've all been compromised already by the Ken Thomspon
Compiler attack, so what does it matter?