Vulnerability Development mailing list archives

Re: DHCP and Security

From: sarnold () WILLAMETTE EDU (Seth R Arnold)
Date: Fri, 4 Feb 2000 01:08:17 -0800

Well, depending on the volume of problems, this may or may not work..

The dhcp server for a smaller lab that I help administrate logs requests and
grants into /var/log/messages -- I imagine syslog could be configured to put
it elsewhere, but that has never bothered me much.

If you only need to occasionally look up info, you can search through the
file for the IP you are interested in, previous from whatever time you are
interested in.

But, if I had to do this more than once a week, I would likely write a perl
script to help track down which IP was owned and released when. :)

(Actually, if you are really lucky, the original logs could be configured to
give the DNS name for the machines, assuming you have a dhcp-dynamic dns
setup.:)

<shrug> YMMV