Vulnerability Development mailing list archives

Re: ICQ pass cracking

From: wolfbh () BIGFOOT COM (WolF Knox)
Date: Thu, 3 Feb 2000 14:25:30 -0200

JklojLrnzn () AOL COM wrote:

| WolF Knox wrote:
| > One day i was doing absolutely nothing on the net and i though, hell,
| > why not make a password crack for ICQ since it's only 8 chars? something
| > like, you put that long-lost-UIN-with-fake-email in a field and the
| > program will try all the possibles combinations to discover the
| > password, of course, 8 chars is relatively small....the program would
| > need to have some kind of pause/resume system, like you try today, you
| > need to disconnect, you pause, go offline, later you come back and try
| > again resuming since the point you stopped.
|
| Please elaborate.  Is there a local ICQ password on the HD that can be
| poked at?  Do you know what the allowed character set is?  Or are you
| talking about bruting the ICQ servers?  If it's the latter, 8 characters
| can take a long, long time across a network, and that's assuming there is
| no lockout feature.
|
|                   BB
Of course, local pass crackers can be written in fact they have already been
written.
Just take a look at the respective archives at packetstorm, neworder or
AntiCode:
http://packetstorm.securify.com/icq/
http://neworder.box.sk/box.php3?act=2&prj=neworder&gfx=neworder&srch=icq
http://www.AntiCode.com/cgi-bin/showdsc.anticode?cat=icq.html
I also found one program, homepage here:
http://icqrinfo.headstrong.de/

derDoc

Hello, thanks for the URLS, for a local password cracker ICQRinfo works
fine (http://icqrinfo.headstrong.de/)....
and i've found in the Packetstorm site
(http://packetstorm.securify.com/icq/) some programs made by the
"Eyewitness" or something like that...one is the XYPROG a brute force
passcracker that uses a dictionary, but it doesen't work...(gives an
Timeout error), and the other is TOPROG something like a  icq message
spy, it says that he acts like a ptoxy and intercepts every msg between
two users...but guess what...it doesn't work 2...gives some timeout msg
error...both programs were coded in java and require a java virtual
machine such JDK or something....i've already mail the author to know
where  may i get a version of the program that works but i have no
response...
well, now we have at least some where to get ideas for this program (if
someone is interested in doing this of course).

Thanks.
        Wolf Knox.

--
    ....         UIN: 33778118            ....
    .  .    EMail: wolfbh () bigfoot com     .  .