Vulnerability Development mailing list archives

Re: distributed.net and seti@home

From: scut () NB IN-BERLIN DE (Sebastian)
Date: Mon, 31 Jan 2000 13:01:39 +0100

Hi.

On Mon, Jan 31, 2000 at 05:28:59AM +0000, Bryce Walter wrote:

In theory its not too difficult to provide false dns info.

Yes, in theory DNS spoofing is easy, and can often be used to exploit client
side vulnerabilities.

-Identify the dns server for the target machine.

This can be a problem, but in most cases this is easy, it is just the main
nameserver of that network segment, and if it is not just take the bigger
enclosing segment.

-Issue a query to that dns server for the name you wish to provide the
wrong IP address for.

Often DNS servers don't allow queries from strangers, which is good and
should be the default configuration (except external queries for your
domains). However there are multiple ways to circumvent this, since DNS
wasn't designed for security. For example one might just find out the whole
querying chain, that is all nameservers that indirectly get the query. Then
just take the weakest linear-id/jizz-able/vulnerable-host nameserver out of
it and poison it's cache.

Also there is another way you can get the DNS server you want to poison
to send out a query even if it doesn't accept a queries from strangers.

-Send a spoofed dns query reply that appears to be from the upstream dns
server with the false data that you want.

This is not that easy as it sounds. However there are multiple tools to
accomplish this, at first the classis ADM ID-sn00f program, then there is
a recode called sn00f, and there is my program, zodiac
(www.packetfactory.net/zodiac/), which tries to ease and automate the
whole process, however, I doubt DNS spoofing will ever be easy.

I think it is possible in some cases to insert a DNS cache entry into a DNS
server manually, and you can fool all the clients that use that DNS server
to contact your own server.  Then you could send custom packets back to the
client to overflow it, etc.

ciao,
scut / teso

--
- scut () nb in-berlin de - http://nb.in-berlin.de/scut/ - sacbuctd@ircnet   --
-- you don't need a lot of people to be great, you need a few great to be  --