tcpdump mailing list archives

Re: Legacy Linux kernel support

From: Guy Harris via tcpdump-workers <tcpdump-workers () lists tcpdump org>
Date: Tue, 22 Oct 2019 16:58:53 -0400 (EDT)

--- Begin Message --- From: Guy Harris <gharris () sonic net>
Date: Tue, 22 Oct 2019 14:00:57 -0700
On Oct 22, 2019, at 1:22 PM, Mario Rugiero <mrugiero () gmail com> wrote:

El mar., 22 oct. 2019 a las 16:02, Guy Harris (<gharris () sonic net>) escribió:
I.e., the goal for libpcap support on Linux should be something such as

       it should work on min({kernel for oldest supported enterprise distribution}, {oldest "longterm maintenance"
kernel release from kernel.org})

I'm more inclined to oldest longterm from kernel.org only, but I guess so.

If RHEL 6 matters, oldest longterm from kernel.org only doesn't work, because RHEL 6 runs 2.6.32, according to

        https://access.redhat.com/articles/3078

so if we're going to support only the oldest longterm maintenance kernel from kernel.org, we're not going to support
RHEL 6 unless TPACKET_V3 has been back ported to the RHEL 6 kernel.

If it's not backported, *and* we continue to use TPACKET_V2 for immediate mode, then RHEL 6 happens to still be
supported to that extent.

However, if we require any *other* mechanisms that aren't present in the RHEL 6 kernel, that means no RHEL 6 support.

So I wouldn't claim RHEL 6 support solely on the basis of continued TPACKET_V2 support - don't rely on the side effect.

        if we're going to support

OK, so TPACKET_V3 currently supports something similar to what BPF devices support, i.e. "deliver a block if it's
full or if the timeout expires".  The timeout is in the tp_retire_blk_tov field of a tpacket_req3 structure, as
handed to a SOL_PACKET/PACKET_RX_RING setsockopt() call.  It's in units of milliseconds; it doesn't refer to
inter-packet spacing, but to the age of the block.

Currently it doesn't deliver empty blocks; libpcap can handle either "delivers empty blocks" (as that's what BPF
devices do) or "doesn't deliver empty blocks" (as that's what TPACKET_V3 currently does).

The main difference is whether the timeout times out even if no packets are available; I guess code that wants to be
woken up periodically, perhaps to do other work, even if there's no traffic that passes the filter would prefer
"time out even if no packets are available".

I see. We would want a way to signal we want time outs regardless of
blocks being empty, then, right?

Either that, or just change TPACKET_V3 to do that.

Originally, TPACKET_V3 delivered wakeups in a bogus fashion:

        https://www.spinics.net/lists/netdev/msg290837.html

(that's the problem we're working around).  The original developer of TPACKET_V3 claimed that empty blocks have to be
delivered:

        https://www.spinics.net/lists/netdev/msg291734.html

but didn't indicate why, so I tried to infer from the patch:

        https://www.spinics.net/lists/netdev/msg291734.html

I have no record of a response (and, for whatever reason, his original message didn't show up in the netdev archives).

The bogus wakeups were fixed by a later patch:

        https://www.spinics.net/lists/netdev/msg315231.html

That also eliminated delivery of empty blocks to the user.  A response said "This change would break existing
applications that have come
to depend on the periodic signal.":

        https://www.spinics.net/lists/netdev/msg315418.html

to which I responded:

        https://www.spinics.net/lists/netdev/msg315425.html

The author of the patch then responded:

        https://www.spinics.net/lists/netdev/msg315510.html

        https://www.spinics.net/lists/netdev/msg315528.html

The code currently has the patch, and doesn't deliver empty blocks.

OK, I guess I'll have to go back to reading that list.  (It's a very heavy traffic list, and 99.99999999999% of it
isn't relevant to packet capture - all that matters to me is 1) PF_PACKET stuff and 2) stuff involving device modes
such as some ethtool features and monitor-mode/radiotap support - so I just look at it on occasion.)

Wouldn't CC'ing you keep you on the loop already?

It might, as long as everybody keeps me on the CC list.

It doesn't look as if you've sent anything to netdev yet about tpacket changes.

--- End Message ---