tcpdump mailing list archives

Re: Legacy Linux kernel support

From: Mario Rugiero <mrugiero () gmail com>
Date: Tue, 8 Oct 2019 14:29:09 -0300

El mar., 8 oct. 2019 a las 13:29, Mario Rugiero (<mrugiero () gmail com>) escribió:
It depends.
Which distro is it?
When does it EOL?
Do we expect a release of libpcap before that?
What version of libpcap does it ship?
Do the providers ship it with custom patches?
For the "official" distro package, is it likely to have a major upgrade?
Do they currently provide bug-fixes on their own
Is it simpler to just branch away for critical fixes? Note that
patches will be backported one way or another if they don't do major
upgrades.
Considering it's an LTS, I'm guessing they don't do major upgrades and
they keep vendor patches already, so that's what they'll keep doing.

Also, I just checked, 2.6.32 supports TPACKET_V2, which should still
be supported because of immediate mode.
So we can make them happy, too.
I still dislike the idea of advertising such support, tho, as it may imply
a compromise to add workarounds and such if they eventually need
them, and that generally is a slippery slope.