tcpdump mailing list archives

Re: Legacy Linux kernel support

From: Mario Rugiero <mrugiero () gmail com>
Date: Tue, 8 Oct 2019 13:29:29 -0300

El mar., 8 oct. 2019 a las 3:59, Michael Richardson
(<mcr () sandelman ca>) escribió:
There are many people who use prototype new things this way.
Even IP/IPv6 stuff that use a different protocol number.   Often they move
away from libpcap as their requirements grow, but they start that way.

One reason to do this because they don't control the kernel they have to run on.

Supporting TPACKET_V2 should suffice to fill this gap, right?
We would still need to make a few changes, currently you need to use a
kernel which doesn't support TPACKET_V3 to use this correctly.
It shouldn't be a big change to make immediate mode go with
TPACKET_V2, so I guess I could do it.

While they may be using "old" kernels, they usually aren't using ancient (jurasic) kernels.

What do we exactly mean when we talk about "old" and about "Jurassic"?
2.6.x would be old and 2.4.y would be Jurassic?

El mar., 8 oct. 2019 a las 7:58, David Laight