tcpdump mailing list archives

Re: Legacy Linux kernel support

From: Guy Harris <gharris () sonic net>
Date: Tue, 8 Oct 2019 10:24:20 -0700

On Oct 8, 2019, at 9:29 AM, Mario Rugiero <mrugiero () gmail com> wrote:

Supporting TPACKET_V2 should suffice to fill this gap, right?
We would still need to make a few changes, currently you need to use a
kernel which doesn't support TPACKET_V3 to use this correctly.
It shouldn't be a big change to make immediate mode go with
TPACKET_V2, so I guess I could do it.

        cp /dev/null patch

should suffice. :-)

I.e., we're *already* using TPACKET_V2 if immediate mode is specified.  See prepare_tpacket_socket() - if
handle->opt.immediate is set, it doesn't try TPACKET_V3, and skips to TPACKET_V2.