tcpdump mailing list archives

Re: Legacy Linux kernel support

From: Guy Harris <gharris () sonic net>
Date: Tue, 8 Oct 2019 10:59:33 -0700

On Oct 8, 2019, at 8:43 AM, Michael Richardson <mcr () sandelman ca> wrote:

And that's why I think we would agree that we don't want to let tcpdump go
all C99, etc. yet, because people often *do* want the latest tcpdump, on top
of a kernel-compatible libpcap.

What do you mean by "all C99"?  The master branch's configure script uses AC_PROG_CC_C99, but doesn't fail if
AC_PROG_CC_C99 is unable to find a flag to enable C99 support.

It does, however, warn "The C compiler does not support C99; there may be compiler errors".  Some C99 features used in
the master branch:

        print-arista.c has // comments;

        we use the uintN_t and intN_t types from C99;

        we rely on snprintf() existing, and might rely on it having a C99-style return value in addrtostr6();

        we rely on varargs macro support.

Are there any Proudly Trailing-Edge Enterprise Distributions(TM) - or other "Enterprise" OSes - where people might not
have a sufficiently C99-capable environment?