Snort mailing list archives

Re: Snort 2.9.0 Now Available

From: Russ Combs <rcombs () sourcefire com>
Date: Tue, 5 Oct 2010 12:12:36 -0400

On Tue, Oct 5, 2010 at 12:00 PM, waldo kitty <wkitty42 () windstream net>wrote:

On 10/5/2010 08:32, Russ Combs wrote:

On Mon, Oct 4, 2010 at 10:52 PM, waldo kitty <wkitty42 () windstream net
<mailto:wkitty42 () windstream net>> wrote:

    the only libnet i find anywhere in our basic source directories seems
to be
    win32 related for some package(s) we use that support that
environment... since
    we're a *nix based environment, that one doesn't do us any good...

libnet is a library.  You may have installed it from a binary package or
built
it from a source package but it is not part of the Snort source tree.

as written above, there is no libnet in use at all in the product i'm
working
with... there's no libdnet, either... we've simply never had a need for
either...

OK - libnet was only required for inline builds.  I'm looking into a change
that may obviate dnet for Snort when active response is not configured.

     >     AFAIK, we don't use DAQ in our setup... pcap seems to be what
we use
[TRIM]

     > With 2.9.0, you *must* use the DAQ.  By default, you will wind up
using a
    pcap
     > DAQ, but the DAQ is a separate package that must be installed.
 This is
    new for
     > 2.9.0.

    ugh! when does the madness end? :lol: i'll have to see if i can hunt
up the
    archive for that... hopefully it is available at
    www.snort.org/ports/snort-current/ <
http://www.snort.org/ports/snort-current/>

You can find it here, along with Snort:
http://www.snort.org/snort-downloads.

i'd rather find it in a place that is automation and script friendly...
that web
page link is not :?

This is another issue worth sending to the web site maintainers.

     > Also, the NFQ and IPQ DAQs require libdnet, but so does Snort
2.9.0.

    this begs the question of why DAQ wasn't included in the 2.9.0
archive so that
    one only need grab that one archive, untar it and DAQ be available in
the 2.9.0
    source tree... it sure would make things a *lot* easier :?

It would make things a tad easier for Snort installs but the DAQ is a
generic
solution to packet acquisition problems and is packaged separately so
that it
may find a life of its own.

that's understandable... to a point... i can't count the numbers of times
that
i've included other packages in my releases that are standalone that my
release
required for operation... it just made sense to "make it as easy as
possible"...
it certainly didn't take away from the separation of the packages or their
individuality ;)

    this release really should be 3.something instead of 2.9 with changes
like
    these... but all we can do it either keep trying to move forward or
dump snort
    in the bitbucket and find something else :? that's not my call so all
i can do
    is try to keep beating snort into submission in my environment... it
may very
    well turn out that it gets dumped if we can't get 2.9.0 working and
especially
    if the rules updates get EOLed and leave our users with no rules to
use...

If you want to roll your own, I recommend you start with the DAQ ...  :)

hehehehehe, that's funny :)