Snort mailing list archives

Re: Snort 2.9.0 Now Available

From: "Crook, Parker" <Parker_Crook () reyrey com>
Date: Fri, 8 Oct 2010 13:38:58 -0400

-----Original Message-----
From: Michael Altizer [mailto:xiche () verizon net]
Sent: Friday, October 08, 2010 1:18 PM
To: snort-users () lists sourceforge net
Subject: Re: [Snort-users] Snort 2.9.0 Now Available

  On 10/08/2010 11:47 AM, Crook, Parker wrote:
[TRIM]
Argh! Certainly not here, I just had to build a new build environment to get it all running;
the irony is not lost on me, nor is the frustration.  So, now that I know it can be done on
Debian, I am turning back to my old build environment wondering why/where it went
wrong.  I had libdnet-1.11, libpcap-1.1.1 and went to town on daq-0.2 so I could get snort-
2.9.0 up and running in my test environment.  So running ./configure for daq, I get the
following error (last 5 lines of output below):

    checking whether the f77 linker (/usr/bin/ld) supports shared libraries... yes
    checking dynamic linker characteristics... GNU/Linux ld.so
    (cached) (cached) checking how to hardcode library paths into programs...
immediate
    ./configure: line 19179: syntax error near unexpected token
`AC_SF_COMPILER_SETUP'
    ./configure: line 19179: `AC_SF_COMPILER_SETUP()'

Google turns up a bunch of cricket chirps and so I put it to the Sourcefire guys... any
clues?

It looks like you reran autoconf on a system where it doesn't support
including a directory for m4 files (it should have spit out some nasty
warnings at you).  The AC_SF_COMPILER_SETUP autoconf macro is
precompiled into the configure script distributed with the DAQ tarball
and defined in m4/sf.m4 for when you need to recompile configure from
configure.ac.  In short, if you run the configure that comes with the
DAQ tarball you should not encounter this error.

-Michael

Fair enough, and thanks for pointing it out.  I did a jingle with my versions of autoconf as the Debian repository is
at 2.61, and ended up going back to 2.61 after running under 2.64 for some unknown reason... looks like that's the
cause of my bungle.  Tossing autoconf altogether from the process works smashingly.

Thanks Michael.

-Parker