Snort mailing list archives

Re: Snort 2.9.0 Now Available

From: waldo kitty <wkitty42 () windstream net>
Date: Mon, 04 Oct 2010 22:52:13 -0400

On 10/4/2010 21:49, Russ Combs wrote:
     > * Snort no longer depends on libnet and uses libdnet instead.

    yeah, that really means nothing to this poor code jockey other than yet another
    lib to figure out how to install and get compiled in my environment... i can
    only imaging what the corporate side maintainers are going to face... they have
    basically the same things to deal with that i do... i just have the chance to be
    a step or three ahead of them and make my releases as mods to the official
    release of the total package...

FWIW, libnet is obsolete and increasingly hard to find.  dnet makes things
easier in that regard.

i don't know, because i've not gone looking, if our environment even uses
libnet, TBH... we're using GCC 3.3.5 and glibc 2.3.2 if that means anything...

[time passes]

the only libnet i find anywhere in our basic source directories seems to be
win32 related for some package(s) we use that support that environment... since
we're a *nix based environment, that one doesn't do us any good...

[trim]

    AFAIK, we don't use DAQ in our setup... pcap seems to be what we use but i've
    not dug into the code to determine that... our official releases do not use any
    compile time options at all... then again, our FOSS stuff is aimed at those
    machines that everyone is throwing away because they don't think they have any
    use left in them... sheesh, we're pulling P4's out of the dumpsters these
    days... with 1+Gig of RAM and "huge" HDs where we only need ~10G of HD space...

With 2.9.0, you *must* use the DAQ.  By default, you will wind up using a pcap
DAQ, but the DAQ is a separate package that must be installed.  This is new for
2.9.0.

ugh! when does the madness end? :lol: i'll have to see if i can hunt up the
archive for that... hopefully it is available at
www.snort.org/ports/snort-current/

Also, the NFQ and IPQ DAQs require libdnet, but so does Snort 2.9.0.

this begs the question of why DAQ wasn't included in the 2.9.0 archive so that
one only need grab that one archive, untar it and DAQ be available in the 2.9.0
source tree... it sure would make things a *lot* easier :?

this release really should be 3.something instead of 2.9 with changes like
these... but all we can do it either keep trying to move forward or dump snort
in the bitbucket and find something else :? that's not my call so all i can do
is try to keep beating snort into submission in my environment... it may very
well turn out that it gets dumped if we can't get 2.9.0 working and especially
if the rules updates get EOLed and leave our users with no rules to use...