Snort mailing list archives

Re: Snort 2.9.0 Now Available

From: "Crook, Parker" <Parker_Crook () reyrey com>
Date: Fri, 8 Oct 2010 11:47:56 -0400

Howdy again Snort-heads,

I have been gone for some time, the original intent was to come back after a month and give the Snort Drinking Game a
try while abiding by the rules (ie, Don't look at the list for a month...), but I took a longer than intended break.
Alas, I have started reading and my liver ran away before I could even get started.

[TRIM]
     > With 2.9.0, you *must* use the DAQ.  By default, you will wind up using a
    pcap
     > DAQ, but the DAQ is a separate package that must be installed.  This is
    new for
     > 2.9.0.

    ugh! when does the madness end?
[TRIM]

Argh! Certainly not here, I just had to build a new build environment to get it all running; the irony is not lost on
me, nor is the frustration.  So, now that I know it can be done on Debian, I am turning back to my old build
environment wondering why/where it went wrong.  I had libdnet-1.11, libpcap-1.1.1 and went to town on daq-0.2 so I
could get snort-2.9.0 up and running in my test environment.  So running ./configure for daq, I get the following error
(last 5 lines of output below):

        checking whether the f77 linker (/usr/bin/ld) supports shared libraries... yes
        checking dynamic linker characteristics... GNU/Linux ld.so
        (cached) (cached) checking how to hardcode library paths into programs... immediate
        ./configure: line 19179: syntax error near unexpected token `AC_SF_COMPILER_SETUP'
        ./configure: line 19179: `AC_SF_COMPILER_SETUP()'

Google turns up a bunch of cricket chirps and so I put it to the Sourcefire guys... any clues?

It would make things a tad easier for Snort installs but the DAQ is a generic
solution to packet acquisition problems and is packaged separately so that it
may find a life of its own.

that's understandable... to a point... i can't count the numbers of times that
i've included other packages in my releases that are standalone that my release
required for operation... it just made sense to "make it as easy as possible"...
it certainly didn't take away from the separation of the packages or their
individuality ;)

And we thank you for your civility, wkitty :)

    this release really should be 3.something instead of 2.9 with changes like
    these... but all we can do it either keep trying to move forward or dump snort
    in the bitbucket and find something else :? that's not my call so all i can do
    is try to keep beating snort into submission in my environment... it may very
    well turn out that it gets dumped if we can't get 2.9.0 working and especially
    if the rules updates get EOLed and leave our users with no rules to use...

Agreed, major changes here -> 3.0, but water under the bridge, as the saying goes.

-Parker