Snort mailing list archives

Re: Licensing

From: Martin Roesch <roesch () sourcefire com>
Date: Mon, 7 Mar 2005 21:53:09 -0500

To lay things out explicitly:

1) Existing rules distributed from snort.org prior to March 7th will remain under the GPL and can be redistributed/downloaded if you register (for free).

2) Community rules developed externally to Sourcefire will be available under their respective author's licenses as before.

3) VRT rules developed and QA'd at Sourcefire will be available for commercial redistribution if the commercial entity acquires a license from Sourcefire. End users (corporate or otherwise) may register and receive their rules as usual *or* they may individually subscribe to snort.org for a fee to receive rules at the same time Sourcefire customers do. If they do not wish to register at all then there will be rules updates in Snort point releases every 3-6 months.

In other words, if you want the VRT rules as an end user you do not have to pay, you just have to register. If you want to get early access to them then you need a for-pay subscription. Open source end users (i.e. those that aren't offering products or services that redistribute Snort rules as part of the offering) can get the VRT rules just by registering. Companies that are redistributing the VRT rules as part of a product offering or service will need a for-pay license from Sourcefire.

     -Marty