Snort mailing list archives

Re: Licensing

From: Matt Kettler <mkettler () evi-inc com>
Date: Mon, 07 Mar 2005 20:03:48 -0500

At 06:07 PM 3/7/2005, Rowland, Krisa W ERDC-ITL-MS Contractor wrote:
Ok. I know I haven’t read all the hoopla and complaining about this new licensing – but this means that if we want the VRT rules we have to pay? Sorry for being slow…

Only if you want them as fast as the normal Sourcefire customers get them, or if you want to rebundle them in a commercial product.

See Marty's post with Message ID: 45cfecfcfb7c474d58e180f5d9344bcd () sourcefire com

AFAIK the VRT rules have always been available to SF customers before the OSS side gets them. Fresher updates from VRT has been a selling point of SF boxes for years. Now you can opt to subscribe to the faster updates for a fee without having to buy a SF box.. Sounds good to me.

As for the rebundlers, well, I'd hate to compete with someone who's simply sponging all my resources for free... They're also still free to use all the snort code, even SF's contributions to the snort code, and the community/bleeding rules in their commercial products.

I think they're being quite reasonable, as the changes only apply to the VRT rules. I'm pleased they're willing to give us their VRT rules for free at all.

Of course, if they ever did anything as unlikely as to try to subvert the code, I'd show up on their doorstep to deliver a letter berating them for the act, but I doubt Marty and co. will ever do such a thing. SF may not be perfect people, but they seem to be Good People, and their continued contributions to a free Snort are solid evidence of that.