Snort mailing list archives

Re: Is it really a HUB?

From: "Kristofer T. Karas" <ktk () enterprise bidmc harvard edu>
Date: Wed, 29 Oct 2003 15:42:00 -0500

Darryl Luff wrote:

It works as you say. Except that if your station never transmits anything, the switch will not learn your MAC, and will flood all traffic addressed TO YOU out all ports. [snip]

Thanks...

Right, that was the very thought that hit me in the head the other night as I pondered the issues further. The router with the spanned port talks to a small handful of other routers; the only MAC addresses seen coming in to the hub from that port will therefore be those of the other routers, all of which will make their way into the hub's MAC table. Thus, within a few seconds or so, the small hub will not send anything to the IDS because it knows that the source and destination MACs all reside on the port connected to the router's spanned port; ergo, there is no need to copy the packets to any of its (the hub's) other ports. Bugger. I guess I need to find somebody that makes a small 4-port switch where one can configure a port as a promiscuous listening interface.

Kris