Snort mailing list archives

Re: Is it really a HUB?

From: kenw () kmsi net
Date: Thu, 27 Nov 2003 21:31:56 -0700

On Wed, 26 Nov 2003 13:49:00 -0500, you wrote:

At 12:57 PM 11/26/2003, Petriz, Pablo wrote:
So i don't know if snort will see all the traffic on it...

No, it won't...

auto-bridging means that (at least) the transition between 10mbit and
100mbit is switched.

It is in fact IMPOSSIBLE to have a dual-speed hub which is a pure hub when
presented with mixed traffic speeds.. no.. really.. it's actually
impossible. If you tried every port would have to throttle down to 10mbit
and you'd have a 10mbit hub.

Based on the description, which may differ from reality, all the 100mbit
ports might see each other's traffic, and all the 10mbit ports might see
each other's traffic, but they will definitely not see traffic from ports
of different speeds.

Up to this point, Matt is absolutely correct.

The problem is that the actual implementation may have more switching
behavior than advertized.. all they've guaranteed is that the 10/100
segments are bridged.. but that doesn't mean that the 100mbit ports can't
be fully switched with respect to each other too.

According to Cisco's literature, these hubs provide "100-Mbps peak
aggregate throughput".  That implies no switching on the 100Mbps side.

FWIW, I use a dual-speed hub (not this model) for network sniffing at
various sites.  In order to ensure that I'm connected the internal hub for
the speed-side I'm interested in, I often must manually set the sniffer
NIC's speed to that speed, rather than allowing it to auto-configure.

/kenw

Ken Wallewein CDP,CNE,MCSE,CCA,CCNA
K&M Systems Integration
Phone (403)274-7848