Snort mailing list archives

Re: Is it really a HUB?

From: "Kristofer T. Karas" <ktk () enterprise bidmc harvard edu>
Date: Tue, 28 Oct 2003 16:11:26 -0500

Marc Quibell wrote:

as long as one keeps one's box from transmitting
any data, the hub/switch will not learn its MAC address, and should send
it everything.

Actually, it will send it nothing at all....

Thanks, but that doesn't really explain what is (or is not) going on. In particular, it still leaves questions in my head as to the ability of plugging several of these mini switches together to add ports. Since they are not configurable as to network address space, they have no ARP, merely passively listening to learn MAC addresses (typically stored in a 2K entry table) and routing based on that. I think its algorithm is pretty simple: when a packet arrives on some port, note the MAC address in the table; when sending a packet to a MAC address in the table, send directly to the port number listed; if no entry exists in the table for the packet, send to all but the originating port. Broadcast packets go to all ports because no single interface sends a packet with the wildcard ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff as its source MAC. Since one can plug these devices into a large network with more unique MAC addresses than will fit in the table, there is no way the device could refuse to send packets prior to learning each and every MAC.

Am I missing something here?  If so, prithee, what?

Kris