Snort mailing list archives

Re: ICMP Destination Unreachable

From: Matt Kettler <mkettler () evi-inc com>
Date: Sat, 08 Mar 2003 13:10:48 -0500

1) this means that a router or firewall refused to allow a packet to pass through it, and chose to send notice back to the source that it's traffic was refused.

2) 8403 is the admind port, which allows remote administration of a server, but is known to have lots of weaknesses and is commonly attacked. It would make sense for a network to block traffic incoming traffic from the internet attempting to connect to admind on a local machine.

3) no, it's not a false alert, but it's not always cause for alarm either, it's an informational thing.

In general in response to this alert you should ask yourself "why were these two machines trying to talk in a matter that a firewall did not allow?". If it seems highly unreasonable for those two machines to be talking, then I might be concerned. As an example scenario I often see these come back to my mailserver when it attempts to do an ident check on other servers delivering mail to it. Many networks refuse inbound ident requests.

In this case, the traffic was to admind. If the source is a machine you control, you should be seriously checking it over unless you had a good reason to be attempting to administer the target machine. If instead the target machine is the one you control, I'd not be too worried. Someone was probably probing your network for weakness and your firewall blocked them. Very common.