Snort mailing list archives

Re: ICMP Destination Unreachable

From: twig les <twigles () yahoo com>
Date: Wed, 5 Feb 2003 13:37:20 -0800 (PST)

We block these messages at the borders going out because scanners use them for UDP port mapping.
That said, I'm trying to persuade our security poobah to let me kill the sig too since the
destination unreachables aren't actually getting out after snort picks them up.  It *is* giving us
info about potential scans but I work in an ISP environment ... the number of alerts does more
harm than good.  As someone else quipped recently, voluminous numbers of false positives may cause
everyone to ignore everything.

--- Dennis Gorman <dennisg () northshoreagency com> wrote:
I have received over 7000 "ICMP Destination Unreachable (Communication
Administratively Prohibited)" alerts in the last 6 days.  I look on
snort.org for info about this alert, but I'm still unsure if this is
something I need to worry about, and if not how can I remove this alert?

I'm run snort on a MS Windows 200 Server.

Thanks,

Dennis Gorman
Network Manager
North Shore Agency