Snort mailing list archives

Re: ICMP Destination Unreachable

From: Erek Adams <erek () snort org>
Date: Sat, 8 Mar 2003 10:16:40 -0500 (EST)

On Sat, 8 Mar 2003, [iso-8859-1] Always Bishan wrote:

alert:ICMP Destination Unreachable (Communication
Administratively Prohibited)

source:12.125.75.126   source port:42491

destination:192.168.0.4    destination port:8403

protocol:ICMP

1) how can I know about this alert? what does it mean

I'd suggest doing some actual research on this.  If you use a Google
search [0], you might be supprised at what you can find out about 'ICMP
Destinantion Unreachable' there...

2) what does these port nos. suggest ?

Check a ports database [1].  Check the packet.  What is the machine doing?
Why is it doing it?

3) is it a false alert ?

We don't know.  You tell us.  :)  Was that the info from the 'Original
Datagram Dump'?  If so, looks like 12.125.75.126 send an icmp packet to
192.168.0.4.  What was the orignial type and code?

Please do help :)

Yes, we try.

If you haven't, you might want to read this [2].  It's a fairly handy
guide of things _not_ to do on Snort-users.  :)

-----
Erek Adams

[0]     http://tinyurl.com/73i9
[1]     http://www.snort.org/ports.html