Snort mailing list archives

Re: Snort-users digest, Vol 1 #2758 - 10 msgs

From: Kenton Smith <ksmith () chartwelltechnology com>
Date: 05 Feb 2003 16:37:00 -0700

The confusing part about these messages is in the source and destination
addresses. The source of the message is the equipment sending back the
Unreachable message. The Destination is the machine that would have
originally sent the ICMP packet. So in this case the machines to look at
are the ones shown as destination by the Snort alert (in your case, if I
understand correctly, your web server and Snort sensor).

I think you should investigate this closely and here's why:

Script kiddie crafts malicious (or other) packets using *your* Web
Server's IP address. *He* spews the packets out and some of them hit
equipment that sends back the Unreachable message. *He's* not going to
get the return traffic; you are because he used *your* IP address in the
packet. Therefore if you can't find any evidence of your machines
sending out ICMP packets to the address listed as Source by Snort, you
may want to consider the fact that someone is spoofing your address.

Just my $0.02

Kenton Smith