Snort mailing list archives

Re: SHUN

From: Frank Knobbe <fknobbe () knobbeits com>
Date: 03 Dec 2002 00:18:38 -0600

On Tue, 2002-12-03 at 01:37, Alberto Gonzalez wrote:

Maybe I missed something. but what does a white-list of IP's have todo
with missing internal attacks?
Yes, snortsam does active blocking. doesn't mean the engine it uses
stops alerting on malicious packets.
You configure the rules to use with snortsam. YOU have control. Just
configure snortsam (which uses snort)
to listen on the internal interface, or am I just extremly tired?

You must be tired ;)

Snort will only send a blocking *request* to SnortSam. It still works as
a normal IDS. SnortSam can ignore requests for IP's that are
white-listed. One doesn't have anything to do with the other. The IDS is
still an IDS is still and IDS...

Frank