Snort mailing list archives

Re: SHUN

From: Matt Kettler <mkettler () evi-inc com>
Date: Tue, 26 Nov 2002 13:58:15 -0500

Snort itself doesn't support this, but there are add on tools that do. For example hogwash.

You can also use logwatch to monitor your snort log and kick of shell scripts to do whatever you want..

IMNSHO however, automated reconfiguration of your firewall is fraught with danger:

1) If you do automated shuning of IPs based on triggering of snort rules I can now DoS you off the net by spoofing attacks from all the root DNS server IP's.. now you've blocked them and won't be able to resolve DNS until you go to your firewall and remove the entries. I can add them back faster than you can remove them until you turn this feature of your snort box off.

2) since your firewall can be configured automatically, this means the authentication mechanism to snort is stored in your snort box. If I can penetrate your snort box I can now reconfigure your firewall any way I want to suit my needs. This effectively widens your security risks unless you're positive the snort box cannot access the internet.