Snort mailing list archives

Re: SHUN

From: Alberto Gonzalez <albertg () cerebro violating us>
Date: Mon, 02 Dec 2002 23:37:40 -0800

ams67 wrote:

Frank
Of course, white list can minimize the risk of DoS, but it also increase
the risk for not detecting an internal attack. Therefore, it is question
to choose which is less risky...
I personally prefer to leave job of detect network anomalies to an IDS,
the job to filter unwanted packet to a FW and the job to decide what is
right to stop to the skills of the security operator. The IDS
technologies are still in a early stage before I can totally rely on it.
I think now they are just good tools to 'help' to make decision.

No offence taken, however I mentioned DNS and external router as a
simple example. The fact it has been beaten to death does not change the
level of potential threat.

Tony

Maybe I missed something. but what does a white-list of IP's have todo with missing internal attacks? Yes, snortsam does active blocking. doesn't mean the engine it uses stops alerting on malicious packets. You configure the rules to use with snortsam. YOU have control. Just configure snortsam (which uses snort)
to listen on the internal interface, or am I just extremly tired?

   - Alberto

--
The secret to success is to start from scratch and keep on scratching.