Snort mailing list archives

RE: SHUN

From: Frank Knobbe <fknobbe () knobbeits com>
Date: 02 Dec 2002 16:43:28 -0600

On Mon, 2002-12-02 at 15:47, ams67 wrote:
IMAO IDSs should not interfere with FWs. If I spoof my IP address with
your current, e.g. DNS server and send a forged packet with an attack
signature to your network protected by your IDS/FW integrated system I
can create an easy DoS by stopping legal and operational traffic.
That is really easy to accomplish (e.g. nmap -D your.good.dns.server,
your.good.external.router, etc..).

Basically true, but you can minimize the risk of those conditions.
SnortSam and Guardian for example have white-lists. Also, SnortSam can
detect DoS conditions and undo recent blocks and sit idle for a while.

Being able to DoS someone by spoofing DNS servers is becoming lame...
(no offense, but that argument has been beaten to death...)

Frank