Snort mailing list archives

RE: SHUN

From: "Mike Koponick" <mike () redhawk info>
Date: Tue, 26 Nov 2002 10:58:19 -0800

Frank,

Thanks for the info.

Mike

-----Original Message-----
From: Frank Knobbe [mailto:fknobbe () knobbeits com]
Sent: Tuesday, November 26, 2002 10:55 AM
To: Mike Koponick
Cc: snort-users () lists sourceforge net
Subject: Re: [Snort-users] SHUN

On Tue, 2002-11-26 at 11:48, Mike Koponick wrote:
Does SNORT support adding commands to firewalls? As an example, if I
received a BAD packet, I would like to add a filter based on that
information to my firewall. I understand that SNORT cannot decide which
packets are bad, but I would think we would be able to trace an issue once
the command has been executed.

Mike,

Snort can do that through the use of SnortSam. SnortSam can shun on
Cisco routers and various firewalls. See http://www.snortsam.net for
more info.

Regarding Snort deciding what is bad, well, Snort is an IDS and it is
the job of an IDS to flag certain packets/connections as 'bad' in that
sense that they match a signature or a rule.

Regards,
Frank