Snort mailing list archives

Re: Snort 1.8.1 released!

From: Chris Adams <chris () improbable org>
Date: Wed, 22 Aug 2001 15:02:03 -0700

On Saturday, August 18, 2001, at 11:21 PM, John Sage wrote:

Just for the record, although I've responded to several people off-list, I was downloading snort-1.8.1-RELEASE.tar.gz using the 20010607 build of Mozilla 0.9.1, which is also what I used when I downloaded snort 1.8.1-beta4 just a couple weeks ago.

So although Mozilla 0.9.1 is reporting a download size of about 1.2meg, the downloaded file on disk is 3.5meg, and is only tar'ed, and *not* gzipped...

I guess something *somewhere* is "helping"...

I've seen this with other browsers as well (e.g. IE, Netscape 4.x). The problem seems to stem from the transfer encoding that HTTP allows (I can configure a webserver to transparently gzip the content and send the compressed data over the network; the browser on the other end uncompresses it transparently and handles it as if it was never compressed) and over generous detection algorithms. Not unlike IE's trick of ignoring mime types in favor of its own auto-detection logic.

Chris