Snort mailing list archives

Re: Snort 1.8.1 released! [Snort-users]

From: John Sage <jsage () finchhaven com>
Date: Sat, 18 Aug 2001 22:14:21 -0700

Stephen:

I just flushed Mozilla's memory cache and disk cache, and tried it again.

While the download is in progress, the dialog reports a file size of about 1,026,xxx as you say, and yet the file saved to disk is *still* 3.5meg..

(I tried gzip'ing *that* and the md5 sum is 'way off: 8d8303blahblahblah...)

Weird..

Oh well, 1.8.1-beta4 is working fine; it'll keep for a while.

- John

Stephen W. Thompson wrote:

John,

It's already been gunzip'ed! Maybe it's a plug-in, or something else
behind the scenes, dunno.  If you gzip (a copy of) it, you'll see it
matches the predicted md5sum.

When I retrieved it tonite, it came down gzip'ed, 1026894 bytes.

En paz,
Steve

Why am I getting "gzip: stdin: not in gzip format" when I tar -xzvf the file downloaded from http://www.snort.org/releases/snort-1.8.1-RELEASE.tar.gz ?

This happens on three different boxes here, all of which just had 1.8.1-beta4 put on, (not to mention other stuff since..) not too long ago...

file size downloaded is 3,532,800

md5sum is wrong: b06f7d03b1c414b09eedc570329f6091