Secure Coding mailing list archives

Where Does Secure Coding Belong In the Curriculum?

From: goertzel_karen at bah.com (Goertzel, Karen [USA])
Date: Fri, 21 Aug 2009 10:44:21 -0400

I think we need to start indoctrinating kids in the womb. Start selling Baby Schneier CDs alongside Baby Mozart. :)

Seriously, though, cyberspace is such an integral part of modern life, parents need to inculcate online security into
their toddlers the same way they teach them to look both ways before crossing the street, and not to talk to or get
into the car with strangers. In essence, we need to teach kids the virtual equivalents of these safe behaviours when
they go online - which some of them are doing as early as age 4! If they can be "brainwashed" that early, they will
come to have higher expectations of what SHOULD be present with regard to security properties in software-based
systems. Then the notion won't seem alien to them. What will seem alien TO US is that they won't understand the
struggles we've had to get people to start adding security. The idea of security having ever NOT been there will be
bizarre to them.

Karen Mercedes Goertzel, CISSP
Associate
703.698.7454