Secure Coding mailing list archives

Customer Demand

From: goertzel_karen at bah.com (Goertzel, Karen [USA])
Date: Fri, 21 Aug 2009 16:05:46 -0400

I think we need a multifaceted approach that includes supply side, demand side, insurance companies, consumer
protection organisations, etc. etc.

We need regulation with legal penalties - as exist for airlines, for example - for software firms that fail to meet
minimal standards for quality - which must be defined to include security (using demonstrated linkages to existing
legislation as a catalyst - i.e., non-secure software makes it impossible to be HIPPA, FISMA, SOX, PCI, etc. compliant).

We need a system of evaluation (like Good Housekeeping seal of approval, but NOT like Common Criteria) for consumers to
be able to easily determine which software meets the minimum standards for "goodness".

We need the insurance firms that are now offering security and CIP related products to add software security criteria
to their definitions, so that their customers who buy demonstrably secure software get breaks on their premiums, and
those that willfully engage in risky behaviours - i.e., persisting in use of bad software - are penalised by higher
premiums or, ultimately, having their coverage dropped.

We need to educate end users as we did with seatbelts and cigarettes - a series of really good public service
advertisements that clearly and engagingly depict what happens as a result of AVOIDABLE (by developers)
security-related failings in software. With outlets like YouTube, the budget to broadcast such advertisements would be
significantly smaller than it would have been when only the media outlets were big commercial networks.

Just some ideas - no doubt some better than others. The real message is "Yes, we need to change consumer behaviour" -
but that alone won't get us where we need to go.

Karen Mercedes Goertzel, CISSP
Associate
703.698.7454
goertzel_karen at bah.com