Secure Coding mailing list archives

Static Vs. Binary

From: ken at krvw.com (Kenneth Van Wyk)
Date: Thu, 30 Jul 2009 23:25:58 -0400

On Jul 30, 2009, at 10:57 PM, Pravir Chandra wrote:
First, I generally agree that there are many factors that make the
true and factual fidelity of static analysis really REALLY difficult.

All good points, to be sure.

I'm a pragmatist, perhaps at times to a fault.  Let's not overlook in
this debate the perspective of the practitioner.  Often, analysis of
"binaries" (and I'm including here bytecode of various types), is done
because the practitioner lacks access to the src (e.g., third party
libraries and such).  I expect that anyone analyzing a system would at
least _want_ to analyze the src code if it is available.  That is,
among the various things one would want to look at, including dynamic
analysis of binaries.

I'm sure this is all glaringly obvious, but what the heck.

Cheers,

Ken

-----
Kenneth R. van Wyk
KRvW Associates, LLC
http://www.KRvW.com

(This email is digitally signed with a free x.509 certificate from
CAcert. If you're unable to verify the signature, try getting their
root CA certificate at http://www.cacert.org -- for free.)