Secure Coding mailing list archives

Source or Binary

From: andrews at rbacomm.com (Brad Andrews)
Date: Wed, 29 Jul 2009 15:17:38 -0500

This is something where I have to watch my own mind.  Figuring out a
binary in C++ is very difficult.  The Java is not really a binary, at
least not in the "runs by itself" meaning.  (Everything is (a) binary
in reality, including the file holding this email.)

Realizing that java "binaries" hold a lot more is a mental shift that
probably must be actively kept in mind.  Those with only Java
experience may think it is obvious, but how many developers did not
start with Java and have not purged this concept from their mind.

This is a topic worth consideration when we are educating developers
on secure development.  At least it seems to to me!

--

Brad Andrews
RBA Communications