Secure Coding mailing list archives

IBM Acquires Ounce Labs, Inc.

From: arian.evans at anachronic.com (Arian J. Evans)
Date: Tue, 4 Aug 2009 19:01:21 -0700

Chris -- Good point with Larry's paper. NTO Spider is, by design, a
simplified scanner for unskilled users, and I do not think it was
designed to be an effective tool for deep dynamic analysis of a web
application. It is, however, probably the best scanner on the market
for people who don't have the time or skill to configure dynamic
testing tools for their applications!

Larry Suto's paper reinforces this use-case desktop webapp scanners:

"Each scanner was run in default mode and not tuned in any capacity to
the application. The
importance of this lies in how effective the default mode so that
scalability of scanning is not limited
by manual intervention and setup procedures which can be very time
consuming. Second, in most
cases it is simply unrealistic to spend much time with many applications."

While I definitely look forward to more objective data on this
subject, I do not think Suto's report is a good example of how
consultants or SaaS providers deliver "expert security analysis" when
they use dynamic testing automation IMO. (I know this is not how I
ever did things.)

I think anyone who has experience with deep dynamic testing knows they
need automation tools with custom configuration ability, the ability
to record workflow, a framework to create custom tests, etc. I do not
believe NTO spider offers any of these essential features. I believe
it was explicitly designed for unskilled users' use-cases. (A valid
and important market to be sure.)

Admittedly I could be very wrong here. The NTO guys are sharp folks
and I haven't seen Spider in a while.

As a group of security practitioners it is amazing to me that we don't have more quantifiable testing and
tools/services are just dismissed with anecdotal data.

Completely agreed. I prefer to back up my statements about dynamic
tools with hard, quantifiable data. Deprived of that, I tend to rely
on historical experience, if it is a subject I have enough experience
on within that problem domain.

If you recall I used to do extensive testing and benchmarking of
dynamic testing tools across custom widgets I wrote, and production
enterprise applications, and publish them @OWASP and NIST conferences,
and "HE: Webapps 2nd Ed". Back then the quality of the tools was very
volatile, and changed significantly every release, and from
application to application you would test, so by the time you vetted
all your data, it was almost obsolete. Again the importance of
customizable, manually guided tools, when dealing with new and bespoke
applications.

I tried to tackle static analysis but became overwhelmed by the
challenge of setting up effective labs, and the huge array of static
analysis tools that were available.

Given that I now work on a dynamic testing platform: it would be
completely fair to accuse me of being "non-objective" when discussing
various vendors dynamic testing tools -- and I would have to agree
with you. It won't make my statements any less valid, but I have to
throw that out there to be fair.

Ultimately you hit the need for objective data spot-on. I would be
lying if I didn't say that I would LOVE to see more head-on
benchmarking between static analysis technology vendors like Veracode,
Fortify, Ounce, Coverity, Klockwork, etc. etc.

The problem I had in the past with benchmarks was the huge degree of
customization in each application I would test. While patterns emerge
that are almost always automatable to some degree, the technologies
almost always require hand care-and-feeding to get them to an
effective place. I think this notion of combining the tools with
qualified users is the true potential power of the SaaS solutions that
are coming to market.

I look forward to seeing the release of more objective analysis by
smarter minds than I, and am very impressed with how far things have
come since the simple tests I tried to run over the years.

$0.02. Cheers,

--
Arian Evans