Secure Coding mailing list archives

Where Does Secure Coding Belong In the Curriculum?

From: goertzel_karen at bah.com (Goertzel, Karen [USA])
Date: Tue, 25 Aug 2009 10:26:43 -0400

For consistency's sake, I hope you agree that if security is an intermediate-to-advanced concept in software
development, then all the other "-ilities" ("goodness" properties, if you will), such as quality, reliability,
usability, safety, etc. that go beyond "just get the bloody thing to work" are also intermediate-to-advanced concepts.

In other words, teach the "goodness" properties to developers only after they've inculcated all the bad habits they
possibly can, and then, when they are out in the marketplace and never again incentivised to actually unlearn those bad
habits, TRY desperately to change their minds using nothing but F.U.D. and various other psychological means of dubious
effectiveness.

Great strategy! Our hacker friends will love it.

Karen Mercedes Goertzel, CISSP
Associate
703.698.7454
goertzel_karen at bah.com