Secure Coding mailing list archives

Could I use Java or c#? [was: Re: re-writing college books]

From: michaelslists at gmail.com (mikeiscool)
Date: Thu, 9 Nov 2006 10:20:03 +1100

On 11/8/06, SZALAY Attila <sasa at pheniscidae.tvnetwork.hu> wrote:
Hi All!

On Mon, 2006-11-06 at 23:23 +1100, mikeiscool wrote:

Hold the phone ... What debugging problems? What _specific_ speed
issues? I'd be really surprised if your project couldn't be resolved
with java; what specific problems are you facing? What tests have you
run/consider to show that java's supposed "speed issues" will give you
trouble? If it's just xml processing I'd say efficient data structures
are what you care about, so java can help you there.

1. Debug

When the program do something nasty or unwanted thing then in C I could
do a lot of thing to find what happened.

For example I could make the program dropping a core and analyze it at
home. This needed because the program used some places where I cannot go
into. And there were bugs in program which is definitely a race
condition what is hard to reproduce. So it's not enough to write the
steps to reproduce the bug.

And I'm not sure that I can get the complete state of the program (and
just the program) so I can detect where is the problem, even when the
problem is in the compiler. I think it's more harder in java language.

You can definately get appropriate information via the stack trace
with java's exception handling. It's strange to see you say debugging
is _eaiser_ in c, typically people find it far easier in a managed
language :)

2. Speed

Yes, it's maybe an outdated information but for example if there are a
java plugin in my web browser (not javascript, java, for example the
terminal plugin in some management page of AMD64 servers) or the
``famous'' Hungarian social web page iWIW, which was programmed in JAVA
and was slow like Hell.

That's a java applet; please don't judge Java the language based on
applets; they are a really bad representation. Serverside java will be
very effective and useful; what sort of client are you writing? Is it
a website or a desktop app? Even if it's a desktop app, perhaps look
to azureus to see a good, well running app written in java for the
desktop. There are others.

-- mic