Secure Coding mailing list archives

Could I use Java or c#? [was: Re: re-writing college books]

From: ljknews at mac.com (ljknews)
Date: Thu, 9 Nov 2006 08:47:52 -0500

At 12:20 PM +0100 11/9/06, SZALAY Attila wrote:

And with mysterious bugs, when you cannot reproduce it in a test system,
just the costumer some hundred miles away, I think that the stability of
the compiled code (and the core file what may created) is give more more
chance to find the right place.

I think you are mixing the issue of Java vs. C* with the issue of
interpreters vs compiled languages.

I heard a talk by the Sun Vice President of Technology (or some
such) some years ago extolling the virtues of Java.  He emphasized
that he was talking about the _language_ not the bytecode interpreter.
Sun felt (at the time) they got much better results with Java compiled
to machine code that with C* compiled to machine code.

Personally I don't care for any C*-style languages (including Java)
or byte-code-intepretation of languages I _do_ like, but I think it
is important that the discussion points separate the byte-code-engine
issues from those of the language itself.
--
Larry Kilgallen