Secure Coding mailing list archives

Could I use Java or c#? [was: Re: re-writing college books]

From: sasa at pheniscidae.tvnetwork.hu (SZALAY Attila)
Date: Wed, 08 Nov 2006 16:59:04 +0100

On Mon, 2006-11-06 at 10:47 -0500, der Mouse wrote:

Perhaps I'm missing something.  Why do you have to abandon C?  You
mention C++, C#, and Java, but no other languages; is there some reason
you have to use a language that tries to be object-oriented?

To be object-oriented.

The truth is, that it's not my own project. And there are programmers
with more knowledge and ones with less. And the previous program (more
than 200k lines of code) is not maintainable because the hidden link
between ``objects'' and a lot of other thing. And I think, that I can
more easily control the architect of the code.

Also, you have said nothing about what the tradeoffs involved are.
Since this is sc-l, I assume security is involved; what does this code
need to be secure against?

This code is part of a security application. And (I think) it's not
acceptable from a security application to contains security flaws. :)

(And not, I'm write here not because of security tradeoffs but because
there were the thread that nobody should use C++. (Because there are C#
and Java) and I were a little bit frightened that I chose wrong. (There
were other candidates and C# and Java was in, but we chose C++ instead
of this. And if this choices are equivalent in every other aspects, then
I want to choose the safest one. So because of this I asked that C++ is
really could be abandoned  (for me) or not.)