Secure Coding mailing list archives

Could I use Java or c#? [was: Re: re-writing college books]

From: michaelslists at gmail.com (mikeiscool)
Date: Mon, 13 Nov 2006 12:07:42 +1100

And then there's "write once, run anywhere." Yeah ... right. I've run
Java applets, and Javascript applets, and the latter are vastly superior
for performance, and worse, all too often the Java applets are not "run
anywhere", they only run on very specific JVM implementations.

You really can't judge java based on java applets; they are a really
poor front, for reasons I assume you are aware.

There's the nice property that bytecode can be type safe. I really like
that. But the bytecode checker is slow; do people really run it
habitually? More important; is type safety a valuable property for
*untrusted code* that you are going to have to sandbox anyway?

I believe major application servers run with -verify, which is
appropriate and useful for them.

So I give up; what is it that's so great about bytecode? It looks a
*lot* like the Emperor is not wearing clothes to me.

I think you just want to see him that way ;)

Crispin

-- mic